Literary Junkies: September Edition

Here we are with the September edition of Literary Junkies!  If you guys are new, take a minute to go see what our link up is all about!

If you are a book lover, this is a great place to get recommendation's on books to read.  If you are like me and are constantly running out of book suggestions, take a bit to browse around the link up-tons of good books out there that are just begging to be read!

Anyway, here we go with September!





1.  What are you currently reading?  Tell us about it.

I am currently reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.


Amazon.com Synopsis:

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice" of Kinnakee, Kansas.” She survived—and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, the Kill Club—a secret secret society obsessed with notorious crimes—locates Libby and pumps her for details. They hope to discover proof that may free Ben. Libby hopes to turn a profit off her tragic history: She’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club—for a fee. As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started—on the run from a killer.

2.  Autumn is coming! What's your go-to drink when curling up with a book at night?

Anything warm.  Hot chocolate, French Vanilla cappuccino, or herbal tea (usually mint, chamomile, or my Sleepy Time tea from Celestial Seasonings.) 

3.  Printed books vs. e-books: What are the pros and cons of each?

I am a strong advocate of printed books.  So, with that being stated, here are my pros and cons of each.

Printed Books
Pros:
They have "that smell" that book lover's adore
You can run your thumb over the pages, absent-mindedly, as you read
You can actually write notations in them and, when you pass them on to someone else, they will see your thought process throughout the book.  Nine times out of ten, they will ask you about it.  Nine times out of ten you will have a lovely conversation about it.

Cons:
As my husband says, they stake up space
They fall apart after so many times of being read
They become incredibly hard to let go of, thus inducing an argument with your husband about the seven boxes of books he has to move when you move into your new home. 

E-Books
Pros:
They don't take up space except on the memory of your reader
They all fit nicely in one location

Cons:
People can't come into your home and see your books on display so they can get to know you.  Yes, I'm one of those people that look at your book collections in your house.
You can't smell "that smell" with an e-book
It's not as personal of an experience (Meaning, you aren't holding the book...you are holding your reader.) 

4.  Buying books vs. library books: Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer to buy my books because I write in them.  I am always underlining things that stick out to me, writing notations on the pages, and having one-sided conversations with the character's in my books.  I have to do that.  It's part of my routine.  If I don't do it, I feel like I haven't really read the book.



You can find me on Goodreads to see more of what I have read here.











8 comments:

  1. i loved gone girl and want to check out her other books!

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/literary-junkies-9/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of book v. ebook. If I am in a crowd where I don't feel comfortable, you can find me at the nearest bookshelf. I have a huge shelf that takes up half a wall in my house. The sad part, I could totally fill another small one:) I like just to pick up an old book and start inhaling. People look at me pretty weird. haha

    Shannon
    Domestic Engineer's Union

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon! HAHA! People who know me just let me go about my business in a bookstore. They know if they need me or they are ready to leave, just text me! LOL! I have been caught inhaling a book before and I always have to talk about the quote from Professor Faber in Fahrenheit 451:

      "Do you know that books smell like nutmeg or some spice from a foreign land? I loved to smell them when I was boy. Lord, there were a lot of lovely books once, before we let them go."

      I mean, seriously? How can I NOT go around smelling books with that in my head? HAHA! Thanks for stopping by Shannon!

      Delete
  3. Jen, her other books are SO GOOD! They are just as twisted as Gone Girl! You must read them! Thanks for stopping by! I'm heading over to check yours out too! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...that book looks interesting. Gone Girl definitely was! I love your answer to #3. I also love looking at the books people have at their house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of her other books are FANTASTIC! I just love the way she writes! She goes way out there, but doesn't lose the reader. I am so glad they were recommended to me!

      My husband says I'm a creeper because I stare at people's shelves. HA!

      Delete
  5. I love looking at other people's bookshelves. I'm always on the hunt for the next book, even though I have an entire book case (not just a shelf) of books waiting for me to read them. ;) I love having options when I'm ready for another book. lol Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave me a comment and let me know you stopped by!



Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Popular Posts

Copyright © 2012 by Sara Hallstead and A Plethora of Ponderings. Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive