A Review (Blogtember: Day 16)

Today's prompt is to write a review over a book, place, or product.  Well, this is easy!  Ya'll know I'm going to pick a book right? 

This is actually perfect timing because I just finished a book on Saturday and I have been dying to talk about it with someone!  So, if anyone wants to chat about this book I am about to share with you, hit me up!  I am about to explode at the seams!


If you have not read Gillian Flynn, you are missing out!  This lady can weave a story!  She had me on the edge of my seat several times.  Also, she kept my brain going.  I never got bored with Dark Places nor her other two, Sharp Objects and Gone Girl. I was always entertained while reading her books.


I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ.

Libby Day was seven when her mother and two sisters were murdered in “The Satan Sacrifice of Kinnakee, Kansas.” As her family lay dying, little Libby fled their tiny farmhouse into the freezing January snow. She lost some fingers and toes, but she survived–and famously testified that her fifteen-year-old brother, Ben, was the killer. Twenty-five years later, Ben sits in prison, and troubled Libby lives off the dregs of a trust created by well-wishers who’ve long forgotten her.

The Kill Club is a macabre secret society obsessed with notorious crimes. When they locate Libby and pump her for details–proof they hope may free Ben–Libby hatches a plan to profit off her tragic history. For a fee, she’ll reconnect with the players from that night and report her findings to the club… and maybe she’ll admit her testimony wasn’t so solid after all.

As Libby’s search takes her from shabby Missouri strip clubs to abandoned Oklahoma tourist towns, the narrative flashes back to January 2, 1985. The events of that day are relayed through the eyes of Libby’s doomed family members–including Ben, a loner whose rage over his shiftless father and their failing farm have driven him into a disturbing friendship with the new girl in town. Piece by piece, the unimaginable truth emerges, and Libby finds herself right back where she started–on the run from a killer.

This book was hard to put down.  I found myself crawling into bed an hour early every night so I could read this book.  The way Flynn writes is intriguing to me.  She can weave webs throughout the story line so intricately and then she very carefully begins to unravel them.  You can even feel the edginess and anticipation of her character's as the webs unravel.   That is good writing in my opinion.

If you love suspense, thrills, plot twists....this is the author for you.  Go add her to your to-read list!

Have a great Tuesday!






2 comments:

  1. I've read all three as well and can't decide which is my favorite. I especially love the flashback chapters in Dark Places. Flynn' storytelling ability is absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan-I know! I loved them all! I am just sad that she hasn't written any more! I need more Flynn!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please leave me a comment and let me know you stopped by!



Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Popular Posts

Copyright © 2012 by Sara Hallstead and A Plethora of Ponderings. Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive