Oh Those Things I Said...

Before I got pregnant with L, there were things that I said that I would never do nor allow to happen as a parent.

I was older when I had L.  I was 27 when I got pregnant and then turned 28 about three months before I had her.  Most of the people I knew already had kids.  I had been around babies and kids and I had seen things and heard things.  I remember watching a child have a meltdown in the store I worked in at the time, looking at my manager, and her pointing to my belly and saying, "You know that's gonna happen with her, right?  She's going to test you and you are going to have to make yourself heard."  I shrugged it off and said, "Not my child."

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Famous last words, ya'll.

Here is a small list of things I said I wouldn't do or allow to happen when I became a parent:

1.  No child of mine will have an epic meltdown in the middle of a store.

BAHA!  Been there, done that.  The first time it happened, I was embarrassed and carried her out of the store, put her in the car seat, gave her a stern talking to, and took her home.  The second time it happened, I stopped what I was doing in the store, looked at her and said, "If you don't stop it RIGHT NOW, I will give you something to cry about."  That got her attention and left me feeling like my own mother.  HA!  I believe I may have even called my mother that evening and apologized to her for acting like a brat when I was little.

2.  My child will always be dressed.  

Um...this was a ridiculous notion.  There are some days L is in a t-shirt and a pull-up because that's as far as I have gotten with getting her dressed.  We just don't go anywhere that day.  ....Or I bribe her with a trip to the park to get her to put pants on....That's happened.  A lot.  Not ashamed.

3.  My child will eat the food in front of her.

She doesn't.  I refuse to fix her another meal.  That is something that I stand by 100%.  Instead, I tell her that she can sit there until I am done eating.  That usually does the trick and she eats more of what is on her plate.  I haven't met a food this kid won't eat so I know she's yanking my chain when she does that.  I also know how much it kills her to sit still and not do anything.  Problem solved.

4.  My child will not manipulate me.

Any ideas on how to fix this?  Seriously.  My two year old manipulates the hell out of me.  I refuse to have a teenager that does the same thing so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5.  I won't be the mom that leaves the house with no make-up on, etc.

Um, this was really vain and stupid of me to say.  I have been working on this, though.  I feel better when I have some sort of make-up on and my hair looks semi-decent.  It's just one of those things that I always used to do and it helps me to take on the day, so to speak.  However, trying to get ready with a two year old underfoot can be difficult, but I try.  When I feel put together, I don't feel so frazzled, does that make sense?  The day usually runs smoother if I don't feel frazzled.

P.S. I have lost count of the times that I have been to the store without make up on and my hair in a pony tail.  Hey, at least I showered.


Isn't it funny how, before we become parents, we have all of these expectations in our heads and most of them get tossed out the window or re-worked?  What were some of your expectations that changed when you became a parent?





0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave me a comment and let me know you stopped by!



Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Popular Posts

Copyright © 2012 by Sara Hallstead and A Plethora of Ponderings. Powered by Blogger.